On September12, 2012, Microsoft announced a major and important change to the Forefront roadmap. They are discontinuing any further releases of the following Forefront-branded solutions:
- Forefront Protection 2010 for Exchange Server (FPE),
- Forefront Protection 2010 for SharePoint (FPSP),
- Forefront Security for Office Communications Server (FSOCS),
- Forefront Threat Management Gateway 2010 (TMG), and
- Forefront Threat Management Gateway Web Protection Services (TMG WPS).
The next release of Forefront Online Protection for Exchange, which has long been part of the Office 365 solution, will be named Exchange Online Protection. And basic antimalware protection will be added to Exchange Server 2013.
Microsoft will depend on Forefront Unified Access Gateway (UAG) 2010 to provide secure application publishing and cross-platform SSL VPN remote access for a range of mobile devices.
Maintenance and support for the following Forefront solutions will remain through the standard Microsoft support lifecycle (see chart below), but the discontinued Forefront offerings will no longer be available for purchase as of Dec. 1, 2012.